Offering a perspective reminiscent to normal eyesight, the 50mm focal length pairs well with the fast f/2 maximum aperture for greater control over focus position and performance in low-light conditions. Furthermore, the handling details of the lens have also been enhanced for maximum feedback and precision, including a long 180° focus throw, clearly engraved scale markings, and a robust, all-metal construction with weather-resistant lens mount gasket. Additionally, the lens is fitted with an electronic interface that conveys all EXIF data to the camera and can also be configured to automatically activate camera-based focusing aids during use.
- Prime normal-length lens is designed specifically for full-frame E-mount mirrorless digital cameras. However, this lens can also be used with APS-C-sized E-mount cameras, where it will provide a 35mm-equivalent focal length of 75mm.
- Fast f/2 maximum aperture benefits working in difficult lighting conditions and also enables greater control over focus placement for shallow depth of field and selective focus applications.
- Based on the Planar optical concept, the lens features a symmetrical six element-in-four-group design that helps to reduce distortion and chromatic aberrations.
- ZEISS T* anti-reflective coatings have been applied to each lens surface to help minimize reflections in order to provide greater image clarity, contrast and color fidelity.
- Manual focus design is accentuated by a knurled metal focusing ring, 180° focus ring rotational angle, and engraved depth of field and distance scale markings.
- The manual aperture ring has 1/2-stop clicks throughout the f/2 to f/22 aperture range. Using the included De-Click Tool, this ring can be mechanically 'de-clicked' for smooth, silent rotation throughout the aperture range; making it ideal for video applications.
- The lens mount is fitted with an electronic interface that conveys all lens EXIF data to the camera and can also be configured to automatically activate the camera's focusing magnification function when turning the focus ring.
- An all-metal lens barrel is fitted with a weather-resistant gasket at the lens mount to protect against moisture and dust from reaching the image sensor or rear lens element.